RENOVATION NEWS

Thursday, October 22, 2009

50 Year Club Historian 2009


When I was appointed Historian of the 50 Year Club of the Mineral Wells High School, my alma mater, I eagerly looked forward to the challenge and adventures I'd find along the way. Little did I know how much of a challenge faced me! I am not saying it is an impossible challenge, just one that will keep me very, very busy for quite some time. I have already appointed one committee and anticipate one or two others.

My charge as Historian was to organize and protect the large amount of memorabilia that has already been donated to the 50 Year Club over the years. I follow after other dedicated and competent Historians that served their fellow graduates well.

As a graduate of MWHS in 1962, I have followed the progress of Mineral Wells with interest. I look forward to serving the 50 Year Club as the Historian this year. While visiting with the Executive Director, Dr. Jessie Teddlie, in her office when first accepting the challenge, I was impressed, first, by the enormity of the job before me, and then by the vision of the club and its members.

I will do my very best to preserve and prepare the photos, news clippings, albums, yearbooks, items of vintage clothing, and other memorabilia for the enjoyment and use of those who come after us.

I took some photos of the room that is now housing the donated items and will share those with you here.

My very first task was getting the vintage clothing out of the light and off of the clothes hangers. I have plans to have them stabilized by a reputable conservator and stored in a safe, temperature-controlled environment until the museum area of the restored high school is ready for them.

I'll share more photos at a later date. Hope you have fun following along with me in my trek through the history of Mineral Wells High School.

Photographs:
Memorabilia Room, 50 Year Club, 602 West Hubbard, Mineral Wells, Texas, Digital Format, Originals belonging to Judith Richards Shubert, 2009.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your appointment. It should be interesting work and I look forward to seeing what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Janet! I appreciate your stopping by and leaving a comment. Your interest means a great deal to me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! We love your comments. If you do not have a Google account and would like to leave your name just leave the URL blank. Again, thank you so much.